We never introduced Santa to DS, the rest of the world did. So we rolled with his version, his expectations. Interestingly at 6, he decided that the tooth fairy was not real, that was just parents and why give away teeth when you can look at them under the microscope - so his teeth are now in a bowl in his room, yea? But the epiphany about tooth fairy didn't translate into Santa. I think the fact that his older cousins believe allows him to suspend disbelief.

The Santa thing has been much easier than the day I inadvertently destroyed his childhood - the day I pointed out look see that Klingon on Star Trek iv, close your eyes, who does it sound like, yes it's Hacker from cyberchase - cue massive tears, shattered belief system - he thought cyberchase was a real place and had planned on going so he could fix motherboard and save the day. Wow, I felt so bad. I think Santa will be easier on us.

About the tooth fairy thing, I do tell DS that others believe and we need to respect others beliefs and not challenge them about it. Fortunately, he doesn't seem to remember the wrenching cognitive dissonance of several years ago so ignores the irony in my parenting!

DeHe