Trinity - you are in DYS? Have a talk with your family consultant. My family consultant is Shannon and she set us up with a couple of phone consultations that ended up leading us to Dr. Nadia Webb in Virginia. Like I said, not Johns Hopkins, but I'm not so sure that she wasn't a better way to go anyway. Her expertise in profoundly gifted - not just gifted - made her a great resource. Davidson helped me find her and they can help you find the right place to get your son evaluated.

They pay for the phone consultations - and they have funds available to help pay for evaluations if you need financial help there. For us, it was value enough in telling us where to go and what to ask for when we got there.

I know that the big centers test lots of gifted kids - but how many PG kids do they really see? And... I have to say, I guess I am buying into the idea that a neuropsychologist is more useful to us than a regular psychologist. If for no other reason than that she was able to answer definitely 'does he have ADHD' - even though he isn't in an appropriate educational setting. (The answer is NO!)

It sounds like you are suffering from a lack of information. Contact your family consultant and get some help on that. Your son needs for you to know the answers to those questions.

BTW - How old is your son? Is he accelerated? You have probably written all this in another string - I just can't remember. My DS just turned 7 and is up one grade (in 2nd now). He does 4th grade math and science though. Dr. Webb wants him in fifth grade full time next year - but doing distance learning on math so that he can find his level there. She thinks that his propensity to daydream in class will fade once he is required to pay attention in order to do the work. She said 5th grade would still allow him to make straight A's with just a little bit of effort.

Oh well....

Mary