To give some context: I don't know if DS is gifted but he has shown advanced verbal abilities for a while. He knew his colors and alphabet early. He has a large vocabulary and uses complex sentence structures. He also has an incredible memory. He is almost 3yo and has just started reading a few words. He can read them in different contexts and without any images/visual cues, so I am inclined to think he is actually reading them, but I'm not really sure. It seems like he can sight-read a few words and can phonetically sound out others. He seems to know and understand what he is reading.

We are starting to consider pre-k options for him and I am at a loss. We do have a school for the gifted near us. I am not sure if it is too "academic" for little kids. We also have Montessori options and a traditional preschool. I would appreciate any advice on the best type of learning environment for students with similar profiles.

Also, the gifted pre-k requires the WPPSI for admissions. DS would have to take the test when he is not quite 3.5yo. Is this test at all reliable for kids this age? Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks for any advice as we are feeling a bit overwhelmed.