I'm currently reading "Re-forming Gifted Education" by Karen Rogers. WOW this book is packed w/ info about every conceivable method of instruction. I'm reading about cluster grouping at the moment which "refers to the practice of identifying the top 5-8 academically gifted (or intellectually gifted) students at a grade level and placing them in the same classroom at that grade level with a teacher bet suited and qualified to work with gifted students."

She goes on to say:

At the beginning of this section, you may have noted a distinction between the academically talented as a cluster or the intellectually gifted as a cluster. The "talented" cluster would include the most advanced learners at a grade level-those farthest ahead in their academic work. The differentiation for this group would probably include a great deal of subject-based acceleration in math, science, social studies, and language arts/English. Students would be identified for this "talent cluster" through their performances on achievement tests, preferably out of level tests. Compacting the curriculum would be the first st ep for any differentiation developed for them .

The "gifted cluster" might look somewhat different. The children in this cluster group will be identified by their general capacity to reason conceptually, think abstractly, and solve problems. Differentiation for this group should be based more on in-depth learning, independent study, exposure to higher order knowledge, and problem-based learning than on acceleration of subject matter. In some cases, the children in a "gifted" cluster might not be the most advanced workers at a grade level since the clsuter could include gifted children who are underachieving. Allowing the under achievers to participate in the cluster will nurture their motivation to learn and to become excited by challenge.

This clarification between these two cluster types is critical to the success of the practice. IF both types of children are included in the same cluster, the academic growth we would expect from ability grouping may be hindered. The intellectually gifted children may "drop out" if the leranign is too fast-paced and doesn't allow time for reflection and analysis, while the academically talented children may "drop out" if the curriculum is so slow that they feel they are not progressing rapidly enough in their achievement. And of course, the mix of carefully selected students with a teacher who will work with them effectively is of primary importance to to make this management strategy work."

to the parent, she suggests finding out which type of clustering your school uses ie gifted or talented, and then see if your child matches that type.

I wonder if this is what my district is trying to accomplish with it's creativity testing for the gifted program. They don't appear to be looking for academically talented kids.

I also wonder if distinction between these two clusters actually happen IRL?