Originally Posted by Val
Quantifiable virtue, huh? Umm, okay.

While it’s now summertime and children should take the opportunity to recharge, it’s not a bad idea to find ways to strategize about getting involved in new activities that can help measure and quantify ambition and achievement during the coming school year.

I always want these things to be tongue-in-cheek, but I know they aren't. People take this stuff seriously. frown

Precisely.

Take a kid like my DD, who is... prosocial, conscientious, and wide-ranging in her tastes for various activities, and that is no longer ENOUGH to demonstrate that you're the authentic article.

Nope. Now you can't just "volunteer" for the food bank. You need to demonstrate that you've already DONE the things that used to be expected of pretty highly motivated college students or graduates working for the Peace Corps.

It's crazy-- and it's largely because kids CAN be pressured to look like my DD does naturally, which means that there is quite a real temptation to take that step to make her stand out again, by pushing just a little harder on HER.

She can out-perform TigerParented kids if we push her. But should we?

frown

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.