Originally Posted by ultramarina
K12 here is a virtual charter through the local district. So, would their bureaucracy/whatever WRT skipping and acceleration apply, or does K12 allow us to proceed at whatever pace? Or is this something I have to ask the district?

Most, but not all, virtual charters are statewide, so they are not part of a district, or rather, they are there own district. They are subject to state rules, and you must do state testing, for eaxmple. In principle, any acceleration is possible, but in reality you are subject to the rules and whims of school administrators. I'm sure k12.com itself is happy for you to do whatever you want, but they don't run the school, they just provide the curriculum, see my post above.

Despite the faults we have mentioned, both HowlerKarma and I have used virtual charters to radically accelerate our kids, so it can be done. But investigate your local option to try to see what they'll do. It would be ideal if you could find gifted parents in the school to ask.

Also June is late to be checking into virtual charters for starting in August. Usually applications start in March or April, depending on area, and there are more applicants than places. But ask anyway.