Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
* Connections uses textbooks. While I may not love their choices... at least I can purchase them myself when they aren't provided. I *hate* online-only platform coursework, since the option to provide offline materials doesn't exist. This is the problem with a lot of k12's material (from what I've learned through conversations with family/friends, as noted).

I am reminded of what an article on MOOC veterans said:

http://chronicle.com/article/What-Professors-Can-Learn-From/139367/
Chronicle of Higher Education
May 20, 2013
What Professors Can Learn From 'Hard Core' MOOC Students
By Jeffrey R. Young

Text still matters. When the only materials are lecture videos, it can be hard to go back and study for quizzes or exams, several of the students say. Since the videos aren't searchable in most MOOCs, students aren't sure where in the video to look for a given concept they are reviewing.

"I would really love that every course have some comparative set of reading materials," says Ms. Nachesa, who notes that it is faster to skim through text than video.

Mr. Seiter likes it when professors make copies of their slides available for download, so he can print them out and take notes on them while he watches the lecture videos.

Many professors who teach MOOCs have been reluctant to require a textbook that would cost students money, and most of the students I talked with have skipped buying optional textbooks. But even transcripts of lectures could help, they say.