You should consider hiring a gifted education advocate to help you. I came across several online when I was researching GIEPs in PA. We didn't need to go with one this year, but we may in the future if the enrichment and differentiation we are promised in this year's GIEP (our first) doesn't make a real difference.

In our K class, the teacher actually wrote an email stating this since my son was above grade level in reading, they didn't see a lack of progress as a problem, as long as he was maintaining his level. She also told us there was "nothing that could be done to help him since he was above grade level, since they had to spend extra time with the children who were below grade level." I would imagine most schools have teachers who think the same way, unfortunately. In our case, it was what caused us to do research on the PA state law and find out that we could ask for a gifted assessment so that he could receive services, something which just "isn't done" in our school for kindergarten, according to that teacher.

Last edited by momoftwins; 06/09/13 06:19 AM.