Howler, thanks for your detailed response. I do appreciate it. I'll try to answer your questions here.

We did not work with DD on math at home before she entered K (ashamed to say it, but it's true). Her preschool didn't provide much in the way of math, either. I must confess that I don't know how DD knew what math she knew or where she learned it, aside from school instruction. She does have 2 older brothers, but they haven't taught her any math - though I may have them work with her now.

I don't know if DD has high math potential or not. She seems to like math, but is more of the reading/artsy type, and she reads constantly. She tends to learn things quickly and has always done well at math at school, at least in terms of grades. I just bought her some math workbooks for the Summer and she was happy about them, for what that's worth. But I thought perhaps an online math course or other activity might be more exciting/engaging for her.

As far as school curriculum, she was in the "advanced" math group in her classroom this year...which I recently learned consisted of rotating parent helpers who took half the class out into the hall during math time do to math worksheets...while the teacher worked with struggling students in the room. I wasn't pleased to learn that actual teacher instruction had been minimal in math for at least the 2nd semester. That may be part of the reason for her declining scores.

All-in-all, I was shocked to see her Spring Math MAP and it seems she may have learned very little this year. She's actually lower by one point now than she was at the same time a year ago. DD likes to try anything new, and loves learning new things, so she'd probably be open to an online math class or whatever we decide to do.

Yes, I definitely do think something is off here, but I'm not sure what it is or what to do about it. She may have even been having an "Off" testing day, but I don't want to make that assumption.