Regarding color blindness:
The reason that some kids with color blindness do well in picture concepts is because there are "varying degrees" to color blindness. Some can identify only certain shades of red/green colors and some cannot identify any shades of red/green colors.
The children who are bright learn to compensate for their color blindness by identifying these colors by their "brightness" and "intensity". My son gets thrown for a loop when he encounters the shades of brown that are created from a combination of green and red. Brown looks like green to him. And he used to pick up a brown crayon and color grass as brown - he has since learnt to read the name of the color on the crayon before making his color choice - his way of compensating for his handicap. And he is marginally better at recognizing colors on paper than on an electronic screen. The reason we suspected color blindness and had it tested was that he was working on an online "gifted" program - in the logic test he was taking there was a question about 3 frogs - an yellow, green and brown frog and he was asked to click on the correct frog. The answer to the question was "green frog" - my son said "green frog" verbally and repeatedly picked the picture of the brown frog and clicked on it and got the prompt that said "wrong answer". He was frustrated and sad and was in tears because he could not get it right even though he knew the correct answer. What I am trying to say is that logic reasoning tests do not take into account such discrepancies in abilities (even though the tester knows that such things do not affect the IQ of the child). I am pretty convinced that these factors skew the outcome of IQ tests - especially when administered by a psychologist as part of a busy day where there are a dozen or more kids scheduled to go one after the other for school admission testing.