Originally Posted by polarbear
Originally Posted by amazedmom
DD sounds like your son. She has a hard time getting thoughts out of her head, but I finally figured out that for her it is an issue in that she thinks in pictures so before she writes she actually has to translate the pictures into words before she can even begin to write it down. It is an extra step that slows her down.

FWIW, my ds also thinks in pictures (and movies). The Eides say that it can be very tough for kids who think like this to translate the pictures into words because they have sooo so much detail in their heads.

polarbear and amazedmom, can you tell me more about this? What else do you see with kids like this?

We're also seeing writing struggles and generalized troubles verbalizing in my 2nd grader. The less specific the assignment, the worse it is. Journal time is torture. A highly structured assignment is easier. In parallel to this, DS has been hampered in moving forward in math because he struggles to explain how he got an answer. "Because that's the answer" evidently isn't acceptable. wink We know he doesn't perform math verbally. I'm curious about the pictoral imaging of stories and events idea as a possible partial explanation for what we're seeing in his writing struggles.

DS' teacher also suspects ADHD.

We did not see a dip in processing speed, though. A more complete neuropsych exam to complement out existing WISC and WJ will come in a month.