I would say I think if I were to send him to school again I would totally leave the school problems to the school and just be mom, trusting that many gifted kids who have gone to school just fine over the the last hundred years or two. Really. I keep reading advocacy stories, so I can learn. It looks like it's best to leave it up to the teachers how they're going to do school, and just step up as a mom if something's negatively affecting your kid.

In your case the teacher can't teach him how she wants him writing, but they already worked on it all day in school, kwim? Obviously tell them to do their homework or ground them if there's a bad note from the teacher. Save the (positive) hothousing for when he's trying to qualify for a class or something.

I don't think u have to homeschool, I don't even think I have to homeschool. I'm just greedy with my kids, I want to teach them. I taught so many kids when I was a kid, and these are my kids.

But, really, the everyday problems at school (like normal kid immaturity) need to stay at school so you can have a homelife. My mom even told me this year you can ground them if there's a bad note, but really if he's not listening to the teacher at school the appropriate discipline needs to happen while he's at school. A kid that young just doesn't think, "I better not do this or I'll get in trouble at home." They think, "This is fun & I won't get in trouble until I get home." The teacher should have some consequences there, but if they're not very effective, then they need to come up with something else, not bring it home.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar