Thank you for your responses.

I have to say this has already been a frustrating road.

She was evaluated by a neurodevelopmental pediatrician - who first suggested dyslexia, and suggested district testing.

She is actually in an All Kind of Minds private school, with a new dyslexia program, so I think her school is fairly well positioned to provide her with the kind of education she will need to stay engaged. She already thinks she's not that smart, despite some amazing things that she does/thinks. She is always focused on the negative - such as that she is not as good of a reader/speller as others in her class.

The school recommended private testing, but at a quote of $3500 just for the test, I wanted to wait to see what the public district testing revealed. (We are already paying so much for private school, and we are not wealthy!)

I talked to our health insurance and they said no therapies or diagnostic tests for LD are covered because of No Child Left Behind, which requires districts to provide all therapies and testing. Yet, the school district told me dyslexia is a medical diagnosis and one that they don't make. Then after hours talking to various people, I feel like I hit a brick wall, and decided to wait to see what the initial cognitive evaluation revealed.

So, yes, any guidance on particular tests to get to diagnose dyslexia would be helpful.

Her spatial subtest score was the lowest (39%), even on the standard scoring method she was not nearly that low on any other component, and that was a score that was not perceived as a gap between standard and nonstandard administration.

She is in 2nd grade and 8. She learned to count and verbally spell and picked up everything pretty quickly. She was biting letters out of toast and building words/letters out of cheese sticks, cereal, brooms, and other found objects at 2, and I really thought she would read early as I did. But she hit a wall and just stayed there until the formal instruction when she reached school age, and now at her school where there are many high achievers, since she is only grade level, she is in more of a remedial reading group doing the Orton-Gillingham method.

The most heartbreaking part is having a child who has so many strengths and gifts, but beats herself up over the ones she does not have. She is super analytical and really harps on these issues.