I'd suggest going to the meeting on June 3 and seeing what the district has to say and offer - and I would most likely also follow up with a private neurospychologist eval. I might wait on the developmental optometrist until you find out whether or not the school district will adminster the visual-motor integration test - and I'd also want to see the subtest scores (if you can get them) on her DAS-2 to see if there appear to be significant discrepancies on that that could be caused by a vision challenge. If the numbers point in the direction of a challenge with visual tasks, I'd follow up with a developmental optometrist eval.

I also wouldn't panic if it seems like a ton of things to research all at once - it does sound like she has some type of potential LD-ish challenge (or if it's vision, it might only be that!)... but sorting through everything often takes time.

Re dyslexia, there are additional tests beyond standard ability vs achievement testing that are run to determine if a child's reading challenges are due to dyslexia. If you'd like, I can post a list later today of the tests my dd was given in her dyslexia screening. If you get to the meeting and dyslexia or a reading challenge is suggested, I'd ask for a thorough battery of testing to get to the root of it before a curriculum is recommended.

This is also just my impression, but poor spelling can come with what seem like a lot of different challenges. My dysgraphic ds is a horrible speller - when he's writing, but he is able to easily memorize words for spelling tests and he can recall the spelling for a spelling test later in time. My dd who has a challenge that impacts reading ability (difficulty retaining sound-symbol association) can also ace spelling tests *IF* she studies really really really hard - and then within a few days time she forgets how to spell the words. Her spelling also breaks down significantly when she's writing.

Last thing, back to the neuropsych eval - having two children with LD challenges and one child who struggled significantly with reading in early elementary, only to discover she had a vision challenge - the private neuropsych eval was THE most helpful piece of anything we've done to understand my children's challenges. The evals we've had through school are filtered through school - they are looking at academics only, and are fitting what they find into what they have the ability to address. The neuropsych eval is going to take a detailed developmental history, give you a diagnosis (if there is one), make recommendations on therapies above and beyond what your child qualifies for at school, be able to give you specific recommendations re who to see or not see, give you advice about school, and give you advice looking forward in time (not just this school year) as well as advice looking at your child's *life* - not just school. We've advocated much more proactively and also pitched in much more ourselves for our kids with LDs because we had the neuropsych advice - and it's been really important for them - as much as it would have been nice to let the school take care of everything, they wouldn't have made as much progress as quickly as they did if we'd left it to the schools. And if you do find there is an LD or other issue, you'll be glad you discovered it early and began remediations/accommodations early - because kids who's LDs go undiagnosed and don't receive help begin to suffer blows to their self-esteem because *they* don't understand why they are or feel different than their peers.

Hope that made sense - let us know how your meeting goes.

Best wishes,

polarbear