Im reading this fascinating book by Dr. Ratey titled "Spark: the link between exercise and the brain." He talks about the school that implemented a radical PE program before school and how test scores have soared. Similar programs introduced at other schools, even low SES schools have had similar results. He then talks about the science of the brain. THe exercise induces BDNF which makes new neurons grow as well as strengthens connections in old neurons. Based on data in rodents, exercise primes the brain for learning. I thought - there you go, physiological explanation for dumbing down our kids.

"Gym class provides the brain with the right tools to learn, and the stimulation in the kids' classes encourages those newly developing cells to plug into the network..." I thought but what if the kid is not being stimulated in the classroom? Well, those neuronal connections are lost, those new neurons are lost. Not to mention that kids in our district only get PE 2x/week.

Anyhow, I don't want to go to far off topic. IF someone is interested in this book, I can break it out as a new topic.

Oh yes, please, I was thinking of buying it. Is it good? Motivating?
I would like to start running but ... but ... but ....