Originally Posted by kimck
I have to admit our school is fun this time of year between talent show, running club, school carnival, career day, field trips, etc. DS is actually having fun at school right now. Of course, he's not learning a darn thing!

It's great he can look foward to school, at least for a while. And to look on the bright side, I would probably argue that he is learning, too. Those things you just mentioned can be extremely valuable learning opportunities. Be glad you still have them. I remember when many of those things were taken out of our school's curriculum so that they could spend more time preparing the kids for reading tests, my DS's teacher said, "well, I've taught them to read and write, but I'm sorry to say that I have given them nothing to write about." I think what the teacher was saying is that these activities provide contexts in which learning makes sense--keeping track of money at the carnival, having a funny story to write about from the talent show, etc. I'm not saying that those things are sufficient, because they aren't, I just wouldn't discount them as non-learning activities.