Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: questions My Mother's Day Gift - 05/11/08 05:49 PM
Well, I didn't even have to show DH your posts. He agrees. DS is truly unhappy. We'll see if he will finish the year. If not, he's out and we're done. We'll homeschool for the rest of the year and see what the school will do for him in third. If they can't/won't accommodate him, we're homeschooling.

Thanks for the posts on the other thread and for the pm's I received. It's a happy Mother's Day for me - and for DS - and for DH and DDg. smile
Posted By: LMom Re: My Mother's Day Gift - 05/11/08 07:35 PM
I am glad DH agrees. Sorry, I haven't managed to reply to the other post yet, I guess it's not needed anymore grin

I agree, if he is truly unhappy, you may just start hs right now.

Good luck
Posted By: Grinity Re: My Mother's Day Gift - 05/12/08 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by questions
Well, I didn't even have to show DH your posts. He agrees. DS is truly unhappy. We'll see if he will finish the year. If not, he's out and we're done. We'll homeschool for the rest of the year and see what the school will do for him in third. If they can't/won't accommodate him, we're homeschooling.

Thanks for the posts on the other thread and for the pm's I received. It's a happy Mother's Day for me - and for DS - and for DH and DDg. smile

Happy mother's day -= weird huh? You two really are in sync!
I sure did enjoy reading the other thread, though.

Grinity
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: My Mother's Day Gift - 05/12/08 12:39 AM
yeah questions!!!
Posted By: Kriston Re: My Mother's Day Gift - 05/12/08 12:45 AM
Good. smile

How are you feeling now?

I hope this gives your son what he needs. I think it will. It's hard for me to imagine that it could be anything less than better!
Posted By: kimck Re: My Mother's Day Gift - 05/12/08 01:45 AM
Good for you! I bet it just feels good to be on the same page and to have a decision in place. And I enjoyed reading the other thread too. I was going to add my 2 cents, but I'll save myself some typing!

DH and I've agreed to do some trial home school work this summer and see how it goes. I have to admit our school is fun this time of year between talent show, running club, school carnival, career day, field trips, etc. DS is actually having fun at school right now. Of course, he's not learning a darn thing!
Posted By: acs Re: My Mother's Day Gift - 05/12/08 02:04 AM
Originally Posted by kimck
I have to admit our school is fun this time of year between talent show, running club, school carnival, career day, field trips, etc. DS is actually having fun at school right now. Of course, he's not learning a darn thing!

It's great he can look foward to school, at least for a while. And to look on the bright side, I would probably argue that he is learning, too. Those things you just mentioned can be extremely valuable learning opportunities. Be glad you still have them. I remember when many of those things were taken out of our school's curriculum so that they could spend more time preparing the kids for reading tests, my DS's teacher said, "well, I've taught them to read and write, but I'm sorry to say that I have given them nothing to write about." I think what the teacher was saying is that these activities provide contexts in which learning makes sense--keeping track of money at the carnival, having a funny story to write about from the talent show, etc. I'm not saying that those things are sufficient, because they aren't, I just wouldn't discount them as non-learning activities.
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: My Mother's Day Gift - 05/12/08 01:30 PM
Great news questions! I'm happy your DH is on the same page. You must feel such relief.

DDg - very funny!
Posted By: Isa Re: My Mother's Day Gift - 05/12/08 01:42 PM
Well, my DH did read it smile

We told DD she does not have to go back to school for the rest of the year if she does not want. Next year she has to go, but for now we homeschool - if only for a few months.

We still have to decide how to handle it with the actual school....
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: My Mother's Day Gift - 05/12/08 01:45 PM
Isa - that's wonderful news. I just read your post on the other thread. How did DD react?
Posted By: kimck Re: My Mother's Day Gift - 05/12/08 01:56 PM
Great point acs! And I was actually just thinking about how grateful I am that DS actually gets excited and enjoys these kind of kid activities! This week it's playing piano at the talent show.

Wonderful news Isa! Keep us posted.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum