Originally Posted by 1frugalmom
Could someone tell me if there is an online math program that allows the child to work at their own pace and continue moving up through the grade levels as they go? For example - we could start DD in 4th grade math as review, but she could end up in pre-algebra by the time she has topped out at her actual level without paying for another class or any additional fees except for the initial fee for the class/program.

EPGY does this, and has an entry evaluation test that can help you figure out what level to start at, although IIRC I also looked through the topics covered in each course to figure out where to start. I think she ended up starting in a course a couple of grade levels above her actual grade, but she moved through that quickly--now that she is in a more challenging course, her progress has definitely slowed down. The only thing about EPGY (other than the occasional bugs) is that it is not cheap; you pay by the quarter (for example, $495 for a 3-month interval) and if you finish a course during that time you can go ahead to the next one. I think with some of the early courses it can be open enrollment, but with I think starting with 6th grade math and up that isn't an option online and you have to sign up for the more expensive tutor-included option, even if you never use the tutor. Here's a chart from Davidson comparing different options: http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10642.aspx

I have heard people speak favorably about Aleks and AOPS (Art of Problem Solving) but have not tried them. One of the main reasons we initially chose EPGY is that they offered a Stanford transcript that I think would have said pass/fail, but being a "Stanford transcript" in theory might have helped a school be inclined to give DD credit. This may or may not have been the case, but regardless they did away with that and now just do certificates of completion or something. I guess it doesn't really matter because I assume any school would want her to take their own test to determine placement.

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited by Dbat; 05/02/13 10:03 AM.