Hi everyone,

I would love to get some advice from all you great people. :*) My DS(7) loves math. He is into algebra and number theory. He does not like practicing any of the concepts very much. For a while he was all excited learning about quadratic equations. Once he learned about it, his enthusiasm for it lasted for 1-2 weeks and he is on to a new concept. I feel he understands the concept, does not like to use the 'normal' way of solving things but tries to use logic as much as possible. Then, we go back to previously learned concepts it appears that he has forgotten how to use them, but will remember them quickly again once someone has shown it to him again.

My question to you - how do I instill in him that the way to solve questions has a benefit and it's not just about finding the answer and yes, there is value to practicing some concepts. He feels he knows a concept when in reality he may understand 'temporarily' but not long-term.

Today we had the first math tutor nearly quit on him as he feels that he cannot teach him anything further but he also felt that DS does not have 100% understanding on all the learned topics either.

If I need to find a new tutor, how would I best describe what I need him/ her be able to do/ what skill sets she/he needs to have?

I am curious if any of you have a similar kid and if a lot of it is also due to maturity or lack thereof given his age.

Thank you!