Just trying to figure out a plan B for the near future for DS4.5 and for DS3 as well. How does it work if you basically skip grades while homeschooling and then you want the child to go back into public school? Does the school go by age? Do they consider the grade that you have the child in as a homeschooler? Do they do some kind of entrance testing?

DS4.5 will got K in the Fall but should we end up pulling him out, we'd most likely just do couple weeks of catchup on K curriculum (mainly writing as I'm assuming he'll be a decent reader by then seeing his budding interest in reading now) and then we'd finish K doing 1st grade curriculum. At which point if we wanted him back in the public school system he would be ideally entering as a 2nd grader (with the one year skipped doing K and 1st all at once). Would this work? From what I know K in Illinois is NOT mandatory but you cannot enter 1st grade early. He'll just turn 5 couple days before Kinder starts. So if we homeschool K and 1st and skip him that way to 2nd it should work, right? Or am I missing something? (or even if this would happen a year later, going to 3rd when he should be entering 2nd based on his age)? We would only consider the skip if we felt he's ready for it emotionally since he'll be already the youngest in his class given the age cutoff, so skipping a year he'd end up being 2 years younger than many of his classmates.

Is this reasonable? Same thing for DS3.5 if he's ever ready to enter public school system, which at this point he is not but if he will be, we need to have a plan figure out. Especially for him since he's the big brain of the family at least for now.