Lori H's son and mine have the same disability, I believe. (our sons are very alike - except Lori's is older). It is called benign congenital hypotonia. Both of our sons have it "mildly" if you look it up on the internet our sons do not have it to the extent of it affecting walking, jumping etc. My son has it in his posture stability and hands - his muscle tone is low and his joints are hypermobile - not severely but still hypermobile enough to make writing and fine motor skills difficult and painful. You can build strength, which helps maks/accommodate the low tone but you can't "build" tone... Despite years of traditional OT is always about two years behind his peers in fine motor skills and writing.

Anyway, my son needs a scribe at school to keep up with the writing and to truly access his curriculum and show his abilities... We intend to get him on Ipads and keyboards as soon as we can. You wouldn't know anything was wrong with my son looking at him - it's 'invisible' but it is very real.

Last edited by Irena; 04/28/13 08:49 AM.