Thanks, everyone.

What about just explaining that it isn't coloring to make a nice picture, it is just finger exercise coloring?

I've tried this, but my kid says he wants it to look nice.

Uh, this does not sound like ADD! It's perfectionism! The time management issue is a bit more ADDish, perhaps, but in the absence of other symptoms, I wouldn't be concerned.

Yes, he is a bit of a perfectionist, but only in certain areas (like coloring or writing). He hates crossing out a letter and writing. He would much rather erase the letter out. However, (and I tend to agree), erasing the letter out sort of stops the natural writing process. He also prefers to spell things correctly (he's a naturally good speller, so it has not become too much of an issue just yet)

HK, thanks. When he was in preschool, he resisted (like, openly refused to do worksheets like the math puzzle sheets with the color coding). He would, however, do the math. However, his preschool teachers forced him to color (it was a nightmare) and one day, he just started coloring in the lines. Since then, though, he has been a bit of a perfectionist when it came to coloring. He likes to color, but sort of on his terms, if it is a picture that sort of speaks to him.

OR-- if no color was specified, she'd have colored EVERYTHING one color, probably black. To indicate her displeasure.

This was him, till nearly 4 years and 8 months.

Now, he colors in an almost snarky, perfectionist kind of way, like the hat on the mouse would be a lighter shade of brown, while the mouse itself would be a darker shade of brown.

I talked to him more last night, and he told me he sees no point in the worksheets but does them because he does not want to get into trouble. However, he does not seem motivated enough to finish them on time. He said he thinks about other interesting things when coloring.

DS5 also likes to colour neatly and not go over the lines. I showed him one day how he can do a quick border and shade the inside quickly then of worksheets and he is almost as fast now as the scribbling kids. He also does a lot more colouring in for fun at home now as it is not so laborious.

I will try it this weekend. I hope it works

I would re-approach the teacher and ask to brainstorm together about solutions to this loss of playtime, as your child is feeling discouraged. Especially if he did have ADD then time management is something that needs to be explicitly taught. The intent of the playtime reward is to teach speediness. But he's had nearly a year to have that method work and, as wonderful a method as that is, it just hasn't worked for him. Instead he just feels down about himself. So now at this point it's clear he needs some other method. If it's loss of playtime due to slow worksheet completion that's the issue, try to stick to it only and not get into the differentiation issue or him being slow to put away his coat etc, on that same day.

As one possibility to start the list of possible solutions, perhaps the teacher could alot him (or you could provide) a 5 or 10 minute (silent) timer that he turns on when he starts a coloring worksheet. That would make it very official when he is to stop, perfectly colored or not, absolving him of some of the responsibility of knowing how perfect to get about it.

Hope you find something that works. Perhaps read a book on managing ADD for more ideas of what to suggest to the teacher, even if you don't feel he has it. She might be most receptive if proffered solutions are in line with her pet diagnosis.

I did request a timer, and when she provides it, he is noticeably faster. But, she does not provide it consistently. Right now, I am only worried about the loss of playtime. I am not too worried about differentiation because he reads and picks up plenty at home, on the weekends etc.

I will retry approaching the teacher. With it being so close to the end of the school year, I think she just wants to be done. But I will approach her and post up if anything changes.

I am not sure whether my kid has ADD or not. But, I do think reading a book on managing it will help and hopefully she will be more receptive.