Originally Posted by epoh
If he's already got an IEP and receiving the appropriate services I'm not sure it matters much to have the official diagnosis.

In some cases, I'd agree with this. Here I wouldn't agree, because understanding the correct diagnosis is needed to understand what's needed long-term for accommodations and remediation. If this is SPD, there's a chance that OT is going to remediate the issues with handwriting fully and accommodations aren't going to be needed long-term. If it's dysgraphia, chances are good this child will need to rely on keyboarding or voice-to-text for the majority of written work moving forward in school and life, and getting a head start on that is important.

Having a correct diagnosis and understanding potential symptoms/challenges associated with it can also help you ferret out information from a younger child - for instance, hand and wrist pain are sometimes associated with dysgraphia. We didn't have a clue that our ds' wrist hurt when he wrote, but once we knew to ask about it, he told us absolutely it hurt! It's just that being only 8 years old, he didn't anticipate that we, as his parents, didn't already know that. My dd otoh, had some fairly severe sensory challenges and went through sensory OT as a child. I don't remember pain ever being mentioned as a potential symptom - so if our ds had been diagnosed with SPD and not with dysgraphia, we never would have asked about the hand pain.

Having a correct diagnosis can also be important for helping a child understand what's going on with themselves.

On the flip side, I can't really see a situation where having a diagnosis is going to hurt or cause harm in any way, so if there's a question I can't imagine it wouldn't be a good thing to move forward and really get to the root of a diagnosis.

polarbear

ps - fwiw, my ds has some sensory challenges too which I understand from his neuropsych are part and parcel of his overall diagnosis (Developmental Coordination Disorder) - I don't think it's unusual to see both dysgraphia and SPD in the same child.

Last edited by polarbear; 04/05/13 10:42 AM.