Originally Posted by Wyldkat
Bear's counselor has suggested that he see a psychiatrist to discuss the possibility of mood stabilizers for his emotional disregulation. I'm not against medicating children if necessary, but at 6 and with mood stabilizers??? ... He's been diagnosed with SPD, anxiety and Aspergers has been tossed about but not diagnosed (he was tested and didn't get the diagnosis, but professionals still see the markers and remark on it).

If possible, I would want to re-evaluate to determine the diagnosis more definitely. You wouldn't medicate for autism the same way you medicate for BP, and it's really important to get this right. Is there a developmental pediatrician and/or a neuropsychologist you could see? Compared to a psychiatrist, we find our dev ped more nuanced in her thinking.

I will say that we started medicating our DS (who has Asperger's) around that age, maybe a shade later; it was not an easy choice, but it was really important to his well-being. An SSRI got his anxiety under control; that allowed him to function so much better.

You will figure it out...
DeeDee