Bear's counselor has suggested that he see a psychiatrist to discuss the possibility of mood stabilizers for his emotional disregulation. I'm not against medicating children if necessary, but at 6 and with mood stabilizers??? I wasn't expecting this suggestion and I honestly have no idea what to do with it. The thought of medicating my baby with something he would most likely be stuck taking the rest of his life is rather terrifying to me.

I have the mild version of bi-polar, depression with hypomania instead of full blown mania, so it isn't out of the realm of possibility that Bear has similar issues. He's been diagnosed with SPD, anxiety and Aspergers has been tossed about but not diagnosed (he was tested and didn't get the diagnosis, but professionals still see the markers and remark on it). I manage with herbals and anti-anxiety pills as needed, no modd stabilizers or depression meds. It's HARD to do it without the meds, but I'm making it so far. I've been off the depression meds for two years now.

Has anyone had issues like this? I just sort of need to know that I'm not alone dealing with stuff like this and that it does get better eventually...