Originally Posted by ultramarina
Oh, he can sound out anything. He was a phonics-based reader initially. I can't imagine that he would ever have any reading problems. It's just not going to happen. He reads aloud like a dream--surely 100+ wpm, with expression and vivacity. But obviously, the writing is way behind the reading.

This is exactly how I would describe my DS5's reading ability. It is as if he has read each sentence in its entirety before saying it aloud so that his intonation and expression are spot on. My DS's writing is far behind his reading ability as well. He is currently in K at a Montessori school and answers reading comprehension questions aloud during class. His focus in writing for school at the moment is on correct letter formation, word spacing, and punctuation. His writing is legible, but has to focus very intently and writes slowly. He finds it challenging and doesn't like writing at school a bit. He writes on his own at home, but mostly writes short phrases or makes signs to post around the house. It sounds from many of the replies here that we may need to do some supplementary writing work at home before we switch to our local public school next year for 1st grade.