mcsquared,

My DD8 is fascinated with Pi too. I was amazed that she got the long number sequence right and she told me there is a youtube video with Pi song and it is fun to sing and easier to remember. But still..

Your DS is in toxic environment. Talk to the principal and ask what she needs. You may need to request a different teacher as well.

Taking abovel level test like SCAT from John Hopkins (starts at 2md grade) and EXPLORE from Duke (starts 4th grade), NUMATS (starts 3rd grade) will help impress the prinicipal/ administrator. Your DS's FSIQ should (if they know what it means :-) There are grade level testing in many states (at least in Texas) and if he scores >90%, they can let you skip a grade.

My DD8 is in good environment. She skipped K. she is now in 4th grade and doing 5th grade level work at high performing school. There are 14 kids doing 5th grade Math and 17 kids doing 5th grade language arts in her school everyday. Her old school has only 2-3 and they did not get any formal classes.

You should check out other schools (including public schools). It may not look as appealing as his current school but I am not sure what your DS would learn from the teacher who does not know what Pi is.

Good luck!