Like you, I would have very much wished to have a snappy comeback to that...but I don't think that would have been in your (or your DD's) best interests. In that I think taking (or trying to take) the high ground is always better in the long run. If you had said something cutting, you might have felt better in the moment, but if that person is really insidious, she might have just used that as evidence that you are one of 'those parents' and used it to write you off as well as bandy it about the school to convince others to write you off as well. Maybe just my past experience, but I think the more polite you are, the better. Surely if this person had any decency they realized (possibly even as they were speaking) that their answer didn't make any sense, and you being polite gives them the opportunity to come back later to talk to you without as it were losing face. Maybe it's just me, but in my experience it has never helped to be confrontational, or even in a case like this, honest/direct. Unfortunate but true. On the other hand, I can't really be sure that this approach has worked--except that we did end up getting DD back into a school we had previously been kicked out of, and I am certain beyond a doubt that if we had told them what we thought at the time that would never have happened. But you must do what you think is right. Best of luck!