My kids are in a public middle school, in a district that participates in a regional hg program for language arts. Its an online/pull out hybrid - participants work independently most of the time, but on a weekly schedule synched with other kids in the class. They meet in person once a month, and each class lasts one quarter.

Nominations must be made by the LA teacher. This quarter, our dd is participating for the first time, after we (parents) very gently nudged the LA teacher to nominate dd. Since she is doing the online hg course, dd goes to the library to work on it during LA, and thus does not have contact with her old LA teacher.

So I recently dropped dd off at the monthly in-person meeting, and had a chance to briefly speak to a district level coordinator for the hg classes. So I asked the obvious question of what happens next quarter, when the current hg class is over. The reply (finally to the baffling part):

"Well that depends on whether the regular LA teacher is still unable to meet her needs in the regular LA classroom."

(I puzzle over this for a moment - if the hg course is a success, shouldn't the regular LA class then be a *worse* fit compared to the previous quarter, before the hg class?)

Then she asks, "Has the (regular) LA teacher spoken to you about it?"

Me: "Umm, well dd isn't in her class this quarter because she is doing this hg class instead, so we haven't had *any* contact with the LA teacher."

Then the coordinator offered to contact the teacher and get back to me the same day, which of course she didn't.

My dream is a world where school administrators feel okay about trusting me with the truth. I felt like if only I knew the magic word, I could have gotten a straightforward answer from her. I can handle the truth, really!

Or at least if I had had a snappy comeback, I wouldn't have walked away feeling so stupid. Any btdt, or other creative suggestions?

Last edited by amylou; 03/02/13 02:35 PM.