Originally Posted by CCN
I have another question, though, re: seizures... can they develop suddenly? DS8 has been watched like a hawk since KG, and no one has said anything about this before.

CNN, I don't know for sure if seizures can develop suddenly (except that they can develop suddenly if there has been injury to the brain). I think that one thing that is possible though is that seizures may go unrecognized for a long time (even years) and it's also possible (per my dd's neurologist) for seizures to gradually become longer-lasting and more noticable due to changes in symptoms.

Of the people I know well who have seizure disorders, one didn't have seizures that she was aware of until she was an adult. The other had what everyone thought were fainting spells every few years as a child, until she fell once when she "fainted" and hit her head and had to go to the hospital to get it checked out - and the hospital staff realized she'd had a seizure. The third person I know well is my dd11, and as I mentioned before - she had seizures for several years before she had a seizure that was obvious enough for her parents to realize she was having a seizure.

DD also had a therapist several years ago who had her first seizure as an adult - it was a grand mal. And now that I think about it, ds13 had a friend when he was younger who had her first seizure when she was in kindergarten (during school). She went on to have fairly frequent seizures...

Soooo... that's my random and limited sphere or knowledge re seizures... but from that I'd guess it's possible that they either might start suddenly in a person with no history of seizures or they also might seem to start suddenly simply because the previous seizures were small enough to go undetected.

polarbear