...an acceleration, if one grade will most likely not be enough?

It seems like most kids do ok with going up one grade level, but more have issues to skip 2.

If you know for a fact that one will most likely not be enough, and within a few weeks/months you will more than likely just be where you are now, would you even consider the first one?

My son is attending a prestigious private school on a bursary/scholarship (there is NO WAY we can afford it). He just turned 8, in grade 2. GAI = 151, no 2e issues.

A few weeks ago, I asked him what his favourite part of school is (which he loves, by the way) - he said gym, lunch and recess. I asked him what he does the rest of the time...he replied that he just sits around and waits for gym, lunch or recess. He said he is bored. I then arranged a meeting with the teacher to discuss if there is anything we can do for him. (I did this in the beginning of the year too, his first year attending, after being homeschooled. She seemed to listen to what I was saying, and took the extra materials I gave her to keep him busy - my son has not seen any of this since September.)

So, while we went to the school to talk about DS being bored, his teacher kept on complaining that he is not listening, not paying attention and not participating. Still, he scores 100% after 100% on all tests. He is an all rounder, doing equally well across the board.
His report card looks ridiculous - Excellent for everything, except for listening and participation. (This is a comprehensive report card - with 40 scores. 36 excellence for where marks are calculated, and 4 below average - for paying attention and participation. They define "Excellent" as between 95 - 100% and below average as 60 - 65%.)

The teacher says that DS has to learn to pay attention, even if he already knows it all, because in life one needs to learn to do things that one does not always enjoy. There was no way in getting her to see things from his perspective.
He still needs to do all the worksheets the others are doing, even though it is a complete waste of his time.

Because we have a scholarship, I'm not sure if I can advocate for a grade skip as aggressively as what I think will be needed. If I do, will it jeopardize his chances of getting one again next year? Do we even want one?

Also, as he learns SO fast, I'm not even sure that it will make much of a difference. He needs to hear something once or twice to remember and understand it. Spanish was new to him, but within 3 months he has completely caught up and surpassed kids who have been learning Spanish for the last 3.5 years.

He is very social and gets along well with all people. He can fit himself to his company quickly and seems to be a leader in his class. He is well liked by peers.

BUT, he is weird too...
He does not play with toys like most kids do. Going to the toy store is about just as exciting as looking for new underpants. Lego, cars, planes, science kits, you name it - it does not excite him one bit. He spends his time playing piano, and mostly, daydreaming. (To his teacher's dismay.) While his friends are in his room, playing with his vast amount of lego, he was memorizing Pi! He did not strike me as the typical "nerdy" type, but I'm wondering if this will develop as he gets older. Not that I mind - my husband is so smile
I'm hoping that as he gets older, he will find something which will consume him and keep him busy, because, frankly, dealing with him is exhausting.

But I guess this is a topic for another post....

After all this rambling, my question is this:
Do you think I should advocate for a acceleration? Will it help, or just be more of the same?

When did your older children with similar "weirdness" regarding toys find their "passion"?

I think that's long enough for now. *sigh*