Originally Posted by JonLaw
Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
Another difference is that most people set aside their dreams of being a musician and a writer and an astronaut in favor of.... becoming a wife, {insert career here} and mother because those tend to be what they have the greatest potential at.

I couldn't tell you what my "greatest potential" is.

Eventually you have to pick a career out of the career vending machine and just kind of go with it because you have to make money somehow to not starve and not be exposed to the elements.

Exactly. My DH and I are still wondering "what if" about some of the things that we opted to 'let go of' in order to get on with the business of becoming grown ups.

I'm not so sure that DD feels like much of a winner in the genetics lottery, by the way.

She's got plenty of genetic quirks that she would just as soon NOT have received as lovely "gifts" from her parents. smirk Here, have TWO copies of highly atopic genetic material! You win the bonus "asthma" prize! But wait, there's more! Idiopathic ANAPHYLAXIS... Behind this curtain, we have future diabetes! Look, behind door number two, it's.... scoliosis! Oh, yay!! Look what is behind door number three-- it's our good friend 'schizoaffective disorders' in close relatives! Wheeeeee! But not to worry, because you get 50 bonus IQ points for being such a good sport...

Just saying. (That's by no means a complete list, either-- this doesn't even get into some of the really ODD hereditary stuff that we know about, and nevermind what we don't. KWIM?)

I'm sort of thinking that any eugenics program would have weeded DH and I out. Unless they were looking to breed for the study of eczema in patients with melanoma and asthma, or something. We definitely don't see ourselves as some kind of genetically superior specimens. LOL.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.