Yes, this is certainly true-- it is better.

However, it is also true that for anyone who has multiple passions and extraordinary ability--

everything does still take time to do right. So choosing "some" means losing the others, and that IS still true.

She sees examples of this in her everyday life. The only people she sees "having it all" are only fooling themselves into thinking that they do, by and large (and often irritating the heck out of others who have to pick up the slack when they flake out or are overcommitted to the point that they CANNOT do it all).

It's still true that you can choose authenticity/depth-richness... or you can choose appearance/superficiality. They may look alike on the surface, but there really isn't a way to be a great parent on only a couple of hours a day. There isn't a way to be a great anything that way. You can lie to yourself and try to 'hurry-hurry-hurry' others into "fitting it all in," but that just doesn't work for some of the things that matter most.

I remember doing that when my DD was a baby, and my life still includes some of my peers who have kept living that way even after I took a giant step OUT of that lifestyle, so I do have some idea what I'm talking about there. wink

Another difference is that most people set aside their dreams of being a musician and a writer and an astronaut in favor of.... becoming a wife, {insert career here} and mother because those tend to be what they have the greatest potential at. With multipotentiality, it's hard to set aside half of the dreams, because they are all more or less equally viable until you do that. How do you know in your teens what you SHOULD set aside and what you shouldn't?

You don't. The problem is that even indecision is making some of those decisions FOR you as life rolls on whether you're ready or not. smile

I'm reminded of the DEVO classic Freedom of Choice.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.