So I received a response last night.

Eibbed,

I'm glad to hear that DS5 is enjoying the math class with Ms. W and Ms. C. They have enjoyed getting to know him as a math student and to encourage him to continue to share his thinking, which at times is quite unique. As with all students we continue to find ways to differentiate our instruction and challenges for our students.

Thank you for scheduling a conference with Ms E, we will make sure that Ms. W and Ms. C are available at the time as well.

As for your questions:

1. We do test students in reading beyond just one year ahead. We use the Fountas and Pinnell benchmarking system to determine a students instructional reading level and then work to instruct them at that level.

2. Within math, we often test above just the current grade level however we don't choose to test to a level of frustration. In 3rd and 4th grades students can take a GT (gifted and talented) test that would put them in a curriculum that is two years above grade level. This is then continued within the middle school as well. As I shared earlier, DS5 will be assessed around some concepts from both 1st and 2nd grade. We look forward to sharing the results with you next week and to discuss how we are meeting his needs as a math student. I do know that Ms. E has enjoyed working him over the past weeks.

3. Subject matter acceleration is something that we often provide within the classroom. We do it in a variety of ways, having our GT teacher take time to work with students, I know Ms. I is working with DS5 and his group in reading/writing as we had discussed. In addition, by having a co-teacher in many classes it allows us to differntiate/accelerate in many ways. Math often allows us this opportunity as we expect multiple solutions and defense of their thinking, which allows students to truly be stretched! Grade acceleration is something that could happen, however there is a lot of research around this topic and it is something that schools typically do not do. I would encourage you to read about the impacts both socially and academically. I would love to talk more about this information.

I look forward to talking next week!

Principal

This response is lacking in so many different ways I don't even know where to begin.

- It's great that say they test past 1 grade ahead but DS5 aced the end of 1st assessment and that is where they stopped and wouldn't go any further.

- Nothing is mentioned about how they determine a child has made adequate progress over the year if they don't know where he/she started.

- If I read this correctly it sounds like they do not do subject acceleration in the lower grades. DS5 is in the new K/1st grade math but it does not seem like it is meeting his needs.

- The principal obviously didn't want to give any opinions on full grade acceleration except to say that most schools don't do it.

Just uuuggggghhhhhhhh!!!

He did say that I should do some reading on the topic which I've been trying to do. I've got A Nation Deceived, Academic Advocacy for the Gifted Child, and the blog Unwrapping the Gifted Child.
I am interested in the Iowa Acceleration Scale but it appears that you need testing to make the scale reliable. We don't have test scores. I read everything here but I'm not sure he would consider this reading or research. frown

I'm not even sure I would want full grade acceleration for DS5 but I would like a dialogue about it's possibilities.

Could you please suggest other books or resources out there on acceleration? I'm going to have a busy few days ahead! smile