I hate to be a pest but this is really new territory for me and I have found your support,knowledge,and experience to be invaluable.

This letter is in response to DS5's principal regarding the email discussed here. I am trying to get at the root problem here but am not sure I'm going about it appropriately,clearly and respectfully.

Principal,

Thank you for getting back to me regarding this subject. I appreciate the effort that you are making on DS5's behalf. DS5 does say that he is a happier in Ms. W's class. He finds the interactions more interesting and enjoys the fat that Ms. C allows him to write number sentences/equations on a dry erase board if he finishes his work. However he still says that he doesn't feel like he is learning anything new. I will set up a conference with Ms. E, like you suggested,should Ms. W or anyone else also be at this conference?

I'm finding myself uncertain as to what can be done in this system. I enjoy, and am thankful for, our pleasant and collaborative relationship. I would hate to see it turned antagonistic because of misunderstanding or miscommunication. I am hoping that you could explain a couple of things to me so I will be aware of any necessary school policies and understand where the school is coming from in the future. I appreciate your patience in this matter.

- Why do you not test/assess children past one year ahead in reading and the current level in math? As a parent I want you to see/know my child and I believe that the school would like to also. I am confused as to why the discovery process is stopped before this has been fully accomplished.

and

- Is subject matter acceleration, participating in an out of grade class, something that is an option? Is full grade acceleration an option? Is there a reason why you might feel that either of these is not a reasonable option to consider. I would love to hear your view/opinion on these as I am not an educator myself. I understand that you have a wealth of experience in this area and I like to be well informed when trying to make any decision, especially one concerning my son's education and well being.

I understand that we are but one family out of 700+ that are your responsibility but I also hope that as an elementary school parent yourself you are familiar with the need to communicate and work with the school if you find that your child is not feeling excited or challenged with their education.

I look forward to continuing this dialogue with you and continuing to work towards DS5's best interests.

Thank you!

Eibbed

What do you think? Do you view this as an antagonistic letter? Should I cc anyone on this is of just leave it at the principal?

Last edited by Eibbed; 02/08/13 06:02 AM.