Hi ej2

We're in a similar situation with DS. I am planning on contacting the school. I've been compiling some work samples, and we have some basic testing (KBIT-2 and KTEA-II brief form) that show some of his strengths.

With us, we need to decide whether to keep him at his current Montessori school that includes the kindergarten year or move him to the public school. (We won't move him without some assurances that his needs will be met.)

You might start the conversation by saying that you would like to share some information about DD that will help the principal as she is making placements for next year and see what happens! (Ideally this would lead the principal to put DD with a teacher who is willing to differentiate.) You might also visit the district's website to find out about gifted services.

Our district doesn't start a "pull out" until 2nd grade, but says they do "student based services" before then.

My feeling is that if a start the conversation early, and in a friendly "FYI" kind of manner, then if I have to be the "squeaky wheel" later on, I've started on a positive note.

Good luck!
Kathie