Thank you so much everyone for sharing your stories. Our DS is considering the grade skip. He is not opposed to it at this time, although at first he said no way as he didn't want to leave his friends. But the work is too easy, he is bored and he wants more of an academic challenge. He came to me after our initial discussion on his own and said he would be willing to consider it. This seems like a good year to do it as he will be going to a different school regardless of whether he skips or goes to fourth since the grades are broken out as K-3 in one building, 4-6 in another, 7-8 and then 9-12. His G&T director has facilitated a visit to the school in the upcoming weeks where he will meet with the school counselor, teachers, principal and some students to see what fifth grade is like. Right now it is too abstract, he needs to see something tangible. I will have a better sense of how is feeling after that, which in turn will determine how I'm feeling! I know it might not be the answer but I agree it might be part of the answer.

That said, I am open to considering all options including dual enrollment or subject acceleration or personalized curriculum... I am still learning about all that is available and what the possibilities might be. Last year he was subject accelerated two levels in vocab and spelling and it worked wonderfully, but the program changed this year and it doesn't seem to be working, but if it is done right, I am not opposed to considering that in the future.

With academics, I would never push but I also don't want to stifle, so as we all know, its a delicate balance.

And not that this is an important consideration at all, but I'm just wondering, how do you find other parents? I already ran into a mom who didn't know who I was and referred to my son by saying "oh you mean super smart genius boy who skipped a grade?"... I imagine it gets even more interesting...

Thanks again everyone!