I had similar situations with my eg/pg DS 7 last year in k and the previous year in pre-k. Both times, DS was in private gifted schools - anger, tantrums, aggressions, anxiety, withdrawals, etc. Both times the private gifted schools were oblivious to my son's 2e issues. Never again, I said.

This year, I'm homeschooling. I never thought I'd be doing it. It was never in my plans. However, there's only so much head banging you can do and how much you can take seeing your DS disintegrate. Then, there's the money aspect of it. There's no way we could afford a private school this year and the public schools are not an option for us.

Have to say the homeschooling has been the lesser of two evils, so far or at the moment. We're usually reading each day and loosely following a general curriculum guide (about an hour each day if we do it). DS is able to self-pace himself and read or write to his heart's content. He's also been able to go to neurofeedback twice a week for ADHD symptoms, which has been reduced with it.

So I can relate to Madoosa from having the anxiety, anger, tantrums, etc. to homeschooling and seeing DS become happier. The big issue for us is the acceleration options that we can do with homeschooling/unschooling. Even with the private gifted schools, there was a limit to the acceleration possibilities.

I do feel for you - HappilyMom - because it's not easy when your DS melts over school.