So, since I've done a lot of complaining around, I wanted to say something positive. ( My ds has been pretty unhappy in kindergarten.) I had another parent/ teacher conference this morning. I was pleasantly suprised by how prepared the teacher was. She had printed out a copy explaining the strands looked at by map testing. She was able to point out some of his strengths and mentioned basically more and more writing (not for handwriting), but sentence development and vocabulary usage. She also said he knows all the sight words she has (I'm not suprised), so she is getting a new, harder list. She will make him repeat the Star test this week. She also said that she thinks his MAP scores should really be much higher, but he "races" though the testing.

The only really negative thing she said is that she thinks his reading comprehension is not that good. Her example of her assessment was this: DRA-had him read a 12 page book and recall the story. A boy ate an apple (pg 1), ate an orange (pg 2), etc. My ds missed 3of 12 fruits, 3 that were in the middle. So, this convinced the teacher that he has poor comprehension. I have to admit I am a bit baffled. He is reading 3-4 grade books at home and can accurately recount a book and a chapter within a book. Ds also uses AR and always scores 100%. I am going to have him work with the easier books she sent home, but I feel like something is amiss. Guess, I'll see how the books go. Then I can communicate again with his teacher.

Last edited by Melessa; 01/15/13 02:21 PM.