I am considering having DS9 take the SAT sometime in the next year or two. When is it too young? He took the Explore last year as a 3rd grader and there was still some room for improvement. I have not decided whether to have him take it again this year mostly because it was a rather long drive for us (about two hours). However, unless he stagnates in his development (completely possible), he may outgrow the Explore by 5th grade. We still have the SCAT, but it is so brief, particularly for DS, who tends to finish in half the time, that I prefer him to use another measure.

Anyway, I started thinking about the SAT partly because his Pre-Algebra teacher mentioned giving him some SAT stuff to give him some challenge. If his past MAP scores put him in the 90+ percentile for 10th graders and 11th graders typically take the SAT, does it mean that DS should at least be comfortable with the SAT even if he doesn't score high?

The other issue is that CTY will not administer the SAT to anyone below 7th grader so DS would have to make special arrangements and probably take it with high school juniors. Does anyone have experience doing it?

Yet another issue is whether have him prep or treat it like the SCAT and Explore without prep.

Is it better to do it sooner (within the next year) or wait until I can expect him to do really well?

Any thoughts?