Originally Posted by Nautigal
I have always liked tests, and I can pass a test on something I don't even know. Case in point, I got the highest score the recruiting office had ever seen when I took the ASVAB (aptitude test for military) in high school -- my best score was in electronics.

LOL... you reminded me of when I took the much shorter practice ASVAB in my recruiting office, which was just a quick assessment of basic math and language. I came back from the other room in ten minutes, told them I was done, and the response was, "Did you answer ALL the questions?" Uhh... yeah.

Obviously they were pretty impressed when they sat down to score the thing, but I remember the recruiter reacting with glee when he found one math problem wrong. Since this was all such painfully obvious stuff, it made me sad to think people were struggling with it.

Originally Posted by Nautigal
I grew up in an electronically-gifted family, but my mother and I always walked off shaking our heads when "the boys" started "speaking electronics", and I knew next to nothing about it. Yet somehow I nearly aced the test. I have no idea how -- I just have an understanding of tests.

You probably absorbed some things just by being in that environment. But it's also worth noting that "Electronics" isn't a test section. It's a composite score made up of four test sections: Arithmetic Reasoning, Electronics Information, General Science, and Math Knowledge. A mathy/sciencey mind could still get a very good Electronics score without actually knowing anything about electronics. That's by design, since if you have the other aptitudes that's fine, they'll train you.