Thanks for taking time to respond!

@Mk13- yes, I do think she has a philosophy similar to that. She tries hard to get the best grades that she can, but she definitely isn't scared of getting a B if it is a very hard class...

@polarbear- that's true. I think one problem DD has is that she does not work on assignments over time. If a reading is due, she will do it the night before. If she needs to study, she will do it the night before, etc. I'm sure that this does hurt her grades a bit and I'm sure a lot of the kids with higher grades are better about this. (though I know that this is a problem that plagues many if not even most students).
I think you are right about not having an area she is passionate about yet, because I don't even know if she has just one. She's the kind of person that will, cook an amazing meal (she's vegetarian so doesn't eat the food that I cook), then compose a song on the piano, then read for a few minutes and get bored, work on homework for a few minutes, watch TV, finish up homework, finish a crossword puzzle in 10 minutes, offer to go to the grocery store, etc, all in the span of a few hours. She is forever on the move and isn't really a fan of staying in one place for a long time, physically or mentally. I wouldn't call her the traditionally "nerdy" kid who is always reading, because honestly, she doesn't want to sit still for that long... In the same way, she loves learning about anything, for a few days. And then she wants to learn about something else, and so on and so forth.