We are trying a new charter school this year for 8yo 3rd grader. It's an Expeditionary Learning school, following that model. So far, I'm not wowed but waiting to see more. My biggest worry right now is the math curriculum. They are using Bridges in Mathematics, which is based on using "visual models" to visualize math rather than learning algorithms. The teacher has told my son in no uncertain terms NOT to, say, carry the 1 when adding, although that is what he learned in previous years and was successful at. My worry is that I had last year a son who was successful in math, not brilliant but successful, who got every problem correct in state testing at the end of second grade, and who now is in tears about math every night, can't tell what to do, yells at me that he's "not allowed to do it that way" when I tell him to just do the problem the old way if that works better for him. He also seems less able to explain what he's doing or figure out word problems than he used to.

Anyone out there have experience in Bridges curriculum? And, does anyone have suggestions on how to work around a not-very-successful elementary math curriculum for a smart kid who fights against hard work and has no desire to do "extra" homework?