Hi,

This is a very tough spot to be in. In fact I am there right now. DS is doing math and reading at least 2 grades above K, in some areas even more. I watched my son slowly become unhappy. He was repeatedly saying that he never learns anything. I kept pushing and I am sure I am now labeled THAT parent by at least his main teacher if not others. After yesterday I think it was worth it!

For myself I waited patiently, as you are, for them to assess at their schedule. It just didn't seem to be happening. I was lucky in that I wasn't seeing any regression in DS. By time PT conferences came around I had decided that I had given them enough time. I asked that both reading and math support be present at the conference. This turned out to be the catalyst that finally got him assessed on the end of K level skills. They assessed him Friday with the conference being Monday. You can read what went on and how it played out here .

In summary, by being pushy I got the attention of individuals who once they came into real contact with DS wanted to help. I would say one of things I learned was to have examples and pieces of work to back up your claims. Also, and this happened unexpectedly, get the principal involved. Everyone kept telling me contact him but I didn't want to step on any toes. I'm now wondering why I didn't just start there after the first blow off.

As for what they'll be able to do, I have no idea. I've come to realize that every school district is different and every school within that district is different. Our system doesn't offer GT until 4th grade, I believe, but each school has a GT resource teacher. It looks like they might have a little bit of leeway in determining what can be done with the students in the school that don't meet the normal parameters.

This is all still so new but I'm hopeful. Be pushy if you really believe in what you are asking for but try to be as polite and tactful as you can while doing it. I think that makes a big difference.

Good Luck