wow! these have been very thoughtful responses!!
real quick to colinsmum-
no my son does not have aspergers smile
he is straight regressive (classic) autism.
&i don't mind hearing from aspies but it is true- there is so much about them already for me to read, they have an awesome community, and it is helpful, but this is why i asked for parents of kids with just plain ole fashioned autism to put in their 2cents smile

but it is definitely all good to hear smile

*i agree with all of you as well, in that my son will always be autistic...right now he is doing well, but with his negative experience in kinder, he began to exhibit some stimming behaviors at home, his safe zone perhaps. ((deedee- this is like what you mentioned above, my DS kept it together during school, let go @home))

i also know many kids/teens with various dx on autism spectrum- and i agree too, how/what/why is my son at a higher level and some kids who were right there with him at same level, both dx at age 3, my kid is HFA, this other child is LFA/nonverbal. his mom has asked me over and over and over--- what did you do that i didn't do? there is no answer.
i didn't go ABA route. i went more the play therapy route.
oh-i've also seen many young preteens who many would think were typical kids, maybe with some slight quirkiness (how one might describe my DS) suddenly hit puberty or some other type of say life changing event(divorce? a death, etc) and the kids suddenly seemed to regress into more autistic like behavior. of course these things affect everyone differently but most ppl do not become autistic because their pet died.

i think that is probably hardest fact about HFA- they are aware enough to know they are different. they are smart enough to realize that society has certain rules, and they must work very very hard to fit in, etc and at same time while they do this- society is holding them to "societal standards" (did i just make that up?) when really they are struggling internally...
if they were a lower level autistic, then society would automatically give them more of a pardon, make accomodations for them... not so for the HFA who blends in.

anyhow, back to the gifted aut... do you all find your child fits in better socially as well in the correct academic level/setting? are they able to relate to their NT peers better b/c they are all same academic level is what i am asking.

One can never consent to creep when
one feels an impulse to soar!
~Helen Keller