slamina, are you really the "girl" you speak of and found your way to this site?
if you really are the aunt, and the girl really is so isolated, with the mom being erratic-- how do you know so much?
and how do you know what is truly going on ?
i am just wondering aloud.

of course how the mom is treating the girl is emotional abuse, but unfortunately i am not sure it is as easy to actually prove (in court i mean) also, how old is the girl?
it is still abuse if she is an adult, but if she's over 18 then she should get out!

are you in a position that you could invite her over to your home for a visit or possibly let her even stay, maybe if she is graduated, get her set up at a local college?
another thought is that this girl may indeed need some type of psychological workup--- not because she is insane as mom says, but because she may truly be depressed and in need of treatment, or some other type of psychological thing going on related to years of emotional abuse and isolation.

she sounds like a bright girl who cares about the world and nature, perhaps yo can think of a way to intervene....

goodluck to you smile

One can never consent to creep when
one feels an impulse to soar!
~Helen Keller