madmanmoon,

Gifted is just a word. I'm sorry you have attatched such a negative connotation to it. I agree that many people are gifted in many different ways.
I respect your wishes not to have your children identified or lableled. To each his own.
I have had my children evaluated for giftedness and I am glad I did. Both of my children are at the extreme right of that bell curve, and have some special needs associated with the way their brain functions. There is no value judgement attatched with that, it's simply a fact. In the same way I would not ignore their learning needs if they were learning disabled, I will take into consideration everything I feel they need to develop into happy, healthy adults. Their extreme intelligence is simply a part of that package. I have never expressed, nor will I ever, that my kids are better than others. In fact, there are many times I felt things would be much, much easier for them if they were ND children.
You expressed that your children are happy and things are going well, I think that's great. Personally, I feel if it's not broke, don't fix it! But please do respect that in a lot of situations on this forum, things were not going well. We didn't push our children into IQ tests out of some elitist self-serving need to have our children labeled as better than another child.
Personally, my pediatrician referred my to the gifted psyd. for testing because at the time my DD8( who was 3) was saying some very unusual things. I was unnerved and scared. So my child led us to have her tested in her own way, just be being herself.