Funny that I find this topic this morning. Just last night my DS7 asked, out of the blue, "would you have me go to a boarding school?" I was surprised - didn't know he even knew what a boarding school was, but he did. I said no, certainly not now. He said "good, because I would really miss you guys." Awwww.

The thing is, we live only 45 minutes from Illinois Math and Science Academy (IMSA). DH and I have only vaguely referred to the fact that high school here among the cornfields is not likely to be challenging (since grade school really isn't!). IMSA would likely be an option for DS. But I don't even want to consider having him there, away all the time. My older son had two friends from grade school who went there. And a woman I work with has two sons who went there. All did well. But, still......

I agree with your reluctance, Ania. I guess that when the time comes, if DS really wants to go I would support it in spite of my own needs or desires. But since your son isn't even interested, then I wouldn't push it. I don't suppose moving there is even an option for you? My husband mentions moving for a better school more and more often. At first I thought he was joking, but he isn't. It may be an option we have to consider.