Someone has asked me in a PM a while ago what our decision is re: boarding schools.

I have mentioned in some posts that Ghost is being courted by top boarding schols (courted meaning received letters).

When he received the first letter, he had no idea what a boarding school was. Since than he has learned a lot but he is not enthusiastic about one. We absolutely do not force the issue, it has dropped from the radar from now. H said that we should bring it aboard again in late summer, when Ghost gets back from a long academic program. H thinks that Gost should take the test (SSAT) and ten decide.
There is a lot that goes into decision like that. I have been asking/looking/soul searching and here is where we are at this point:

1. I am not ready to let him go. If the school was within a driving distance, no problem, but we are a 5 hour flight away, we are far from the east coast ...

2. H is a product of a European boarding school. He is closest with his boarding school buddies. He sees no problem...

3. Ghost had no clue what a boarding/prep school was till he got the first letter. He was pleased that he is wanted, but nothing further.

4. There are no good schools around. The best that we can pick at this point is a public IB school, one hour each way (by train and trolley). If Ghost goes to this school, we would still have to work very hard to have any kind of an academic team there...apparently teachers do not care....

5. I spoke about this to my very good friends (book club), very self assured, well off, educated bunch. The overwhelming group response was - WHY WOULD YOU DO IT - DON'T YOU WANT TO SEE HIM GROW??????

6. ^^ I do want to see him grow, I do want to be close to him , I do want to see him daily, I do think he needs me daily (because of the "gifted issues"), but I clearly see that his growth would be best at a prep school.....

7. So... I want a boarding school in my backyard :-)

Any thoughts? How do you guys would feel about this if it was your child in the question?