I spoke with the principal of DS8's charter school about a month and a half ago about the need for at least a 504 for DS. She agreed and said she'd get the administrator who handles that (we'll call her Ms. A) on that. I let a couple of weeks go by, I didn't hear anything, so I emailed Ms A. (I'd given the school copies of all of DS's reports/tests during this time). She replied with this:

I do have his information. The process, though does not start with the family, it starts with the teachers implementing interventions. Before we go for a referral we need to go through RTI procedures to see the real need. As soon as we have enough academic and behavioral data we will contact you and ask you to fill out your part of the paperwork. Please let me know if you have other questions.

This, as you might imagine, seemed rather backwards to me. I replied to her stating as much.. and she replied that it 'depends on the issue or disability we are dealing with' and that they'd be collecting data and evaluating him over the next 4 weeks. That was beginning of Oct.

So... today I decided to touch base with her (DS's main teacher recommended "staying on her" about it.) This is what she emailed me:

I have been reviewing the interventions and talking to the administrators. He seems to be adjusting and doing better. At this moment we do not see a need to go to the next TIER. We will keep observing and documenting to be able to proceed with the evaluation if needed in the future. Thank you!

What on earth is that??? "we do not see a need"?

ETA: I should add that I responded back with "I’m not sure I understand what that means? We aren’t going to do an IEP or 504?" I don't want to go in all raging b****, but I feel like I might have to!

Last edited by epoh; 10/30/12 11:38 AM.

~amy